Friday, August 06, 2004

Grammar Lesson

OK today children, we will learn about apostrophes, specifically when they come after "s"s. I have noticed lately that a lot of people don't know the true use of them when referring to names that end with an "s". For example if I were to say that something belonged to the Collins family, I would say that it was the "Collins's". Yes, indeed there are two "s"s. Contrary to popular belief, in this case it would NOT appear, "Collins'" where the apostrophe is not followed by another "s". Now, if I were to say that something belonged to the girls, I would say that it was the "girls'". See, it's quite simple, all you have to do is say it out loud, if it sounds like there's two "s"s, then there probably are. SO here are two final examples:

The plate of spoiled rotten food was Alexis's.

That is the girls' pack of rabid dogs.

Let me also add, that I HATE it when people substitute the word "your" for the word "you're". NO they are NOT the same, they are two completely different words. "Your" refers to items that belong to you. "You're" is the combination of "you" and "are". Please, don't be SO lazy that you cannot simply add an apostrophe and an "e" to make "your", "you're". SAVE US ALL.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a loser

-logan

August 7, 2004 at 1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home