Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Powerless

OK let me just start off by saying that CLUB HILL ELEMENTARY NEEDS TO GET UP AND MOVE. I can not go one more day spending 15 minutes just WAITING in the middle of the street for all the little children to be picked up. I usually have to drive on the left side of the road to get by all of the parents that just decided that they are more important than everyone else, so they just stop on the road, waiting to turn into the school. But today, I wanted to bypass that so I went down Oak Hill and came up Merrimac so I would just miss all of the traffic in front of the school. But NOOOOOOOOOO the car at the front of the line at the stop sign decides that the stop sign would be a GREAT place to wait on their kid. So it's seriously like, 10 minutes until i just LAY on the horn... Thankfully, they moved after that but OH MY GOODNESS. THE MADNESS OF IT ALL. Isn't that like, against the law anyway? To just STOP in the middle of the street. WOW. I just hate Club Hill for that.

SO once I finally get home, I'm all good right? NOOOOOOOOPE. The power's out. The garage door will not come up and I don't know where my keys are. Finally I get in and obviously, NOTHING works, and the computer is beeping repeatedly (which scares my dog Sandie, causing her to follow me EVERYWHERE around the house). But anyway, while the power was out, it made me appreciate all the little things in my life. It's like, once you lose something, you finally figure out how much it means to you. No, I'm not talking about air conditioning or the refrigerator. I'm talking about the computer and tv. My main concern when I walked in the door was not preserving the food that my family lives off of, it was making sure the TiVo comes back on before Amish and the City tonight so I don't miss it (ironic cuz I just remembered that the Amish don't HAVE electricity EVER). When I realized that I couldn't go watch TV, I decide that I'll go get on my computer... RIGHT, computer uses electricity TOO! MAN! What on EARTH do I do now? So I just sat down and looked through the Sharper Image catalogue (even though you have to like, donate a liver and sell your house to get anything out of it) and by the time I finished, the power came back on. Thank GOODNESS. Seriously, you don't know how scary this whole experience was for me. Luckily it was only for like, an hour.

All of that power outage stuff reminds me of Y2K. Remember that?! I mean, those Y2K people really had me freaked out. I literally thought the world was gonna just implode on new year's. After it though, I realize that it was probably just a marketing ploy for selling "Y2K Proof" products. I just remember every day the news being like, "December 31. Could this be your LAST DAY!?" and it's literally 6 days after Christmas and they're talking about the world ending. It just wasn't a very happy thing... But ya, I mean, I knew people that were all stocking up on Ozarka gallon water bottles and electric generators, but we didn't really do that. I mean, I'm pretty sure we were just gonna go drink out of our neighbor's pool or the Indian Lake Pond and then go mooch off of our friends' generators. But anyway, we never had to worry about that. But it was quite scary!

But anyway yall, if you learn anything from this, let it be to appreciate those things in life that could disappear in a snap (mainly all of your electricity powered products like TV, TiVo, Computer and the Internet).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Adam, maybe you should stop being so dependent on such superficial things and appreciate the good things in life.

whitney redman



(am)

August 25, 2004 at 8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH so that was YOU that was honking at me? ;)

August 26, 2004 at 9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm..i like how someone is pretending to be me! very nice...very nice.

-whitty.

August 26, 2004 at 3:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like how someone is pretending to be me pretending to be mad at someone pretending to be me

whitney :)







(am)

August 26, 2004 at 10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home