Friday, November 12, 2004

Out of the Woods

OK so last weekend was definetely an adventure for me. Let me tell you I haven't been so in touch with my "wild" side before (HAHA. Wild as in dangerous animals lurking and mysterious noises in the woods.)

A bunch of us went camping at Lake Texoma for a little retreat and got there on Friday night. When we pulled up I thought we were on the set of Survivor. It was like full of tiki torches and I was afraid I would be the first voted off (however because it was church-related there were no elimations) . The girls' tent was already set up. Lucky them. The guys had to set up our own tents. Which was fine, we really had an advantage over them because I was so experienced in camping... So like, I go over to where we're supposed to set up the tents and my friend and I find ourselves just staring at everyone else doing the work. So finally I say, "Just let us know what to do and we'll do it." I'm pretty sure we were THE worst tent-setter-uppers EVER. We tried to feed the poles through the loops and everything and it just didn't work so we went elsewhere. Then we came back later to make sure that the rest of them had finished what we had started. Sure enough, NO TENT. Apparently we had actually RIPPED the tent covering when we were putting the poles through causing them to have to get ANOTHER tent.

ANYWAY. Forget the whole tent issue. It's over; done. So we spend the night by the campfire singing Kumbyah and finally hit the tent around 12:30 for some good sleep. Except my tent stayed up until 2 in the morning telling horrible New York City stories. The one that sticks out most in my mind was someone who ended their trip by going to the Olive Garden and then throwing up in the elevator with people they didn't know because of the strong smell of "cleaning product."

Let me tell you how my sleep went. I THINK it was about 50 degrees BELOW zero. It might have been, no I take that back, it was THE coldest EVER. The only thing that saved me that night from LITERALLY freezing to death was my homemade Harry Potter scarf. Seriously. Saved my life. So like, half way through the night, I'm woken up by this HORRIBLE howling. Literally EVERY DOG IN THE WORLD was barking. There were coyotes, wolverines, rabid dingos, chihuahuas. EVERYTHING was barking and I almost screamed. Luckily I had some Excedrin on hand and that problem was saved.

The next morning I had some wonderful pancakes with about a pound of butter. Seriously I don't know what was in me; I think it was the dog thing. Then some of us went out for a little run. I was of course at the back of the pack THE whole time, heaving in loads of freezing cold air, causing my throat to hurt for the next 4 hours. Later we went on our HIKE!!! WOOHOO! It was awesome. Although I'm still not very sure WHERE we were going. I played tour guide the whole way with my walkie talkies. Everyone seemed to like it, they were laughing the whole time... Unless they were laughing because I drove them insane. Hmm... We went to the lake and skipped rocks for seriously, 3 hours. It was wonderful. Also, throwing boulders into the lake in order to splash and drench your friends is also very rewarding.

The next night was the same as the first. I got to bed a little earlier, only to be woken by the wild dingos earlier. That was fun. Then we woke up and had some goooooood breakfast burritos and then had to pack up camp. I'm pretty sure they told me just to stay away from the whole tent area so I didn't cause another "situation".

Over all I had a wonderful time on this trip. I must have said a THOUSAND times on this trip, "I wish this was a reality show." Because seriously, it would have been the funniest EVER.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bro--

I'm so glad you had fun!

--sis

November 12, 2004 at 6:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adam...you're scaring me with your obsession with excedrin...do we need to talk?!?! haha!! :)

November 17, 2004 at 12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home